Breakfast: Pineapple Banana Smoothie
- 4 ice cubes
- 1/4 fresh pineapple - peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 large banana, cut into chunks
- 1 cup pineapple or apple juice
- Place ice cubes, pineapple, banana, and pineapple juice into the bowl of a blender. Puree on high until smooth.
Snack: Oatmeal Bars w/ Dates and Walnuts
- 2 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (5 1/2 ounces), toasted and chopped
- 1 cup dates (5 ounces), pitted and chopped
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together ground oats, flour, 1 cup whole oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl; set aside.
Put brown sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture, and mix until just combined. Mix in walnuts and dates.
Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in dish. Scatter remaining 1/2 cup whole oats over top. Bake until golden and a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack; cut into bar
Lunch: Apple Frisee & Radicchio Salad w/Lemon Kefir Dressing
- 1 large shallot, diced small
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp roasted walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 5 tbsp whole-milk kefir
- 10 oz frisée (2 small heads), cored and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 oz radicchio (½ small head), halved lengthwise and cut into ⅓-inch slices
- 7 small radishes (preferably the French variety, if available), quartered
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced in half lengthwise and cut diagonally (¼-inch thickness)
- 2 apples (Fuji, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp), cored and sliced into 1/8-inch slices
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted unsalted walnuts, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt (or sea salt) and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, combine shallot, lemon juice, walnut and grape seed oil, close lid tightly; shake well. Add kefir and shake again.
- In a large bowl, combine frisée, radicchio, radishes, cucumbers, apples, parsley, mint and walnuts. Pour dressing over top and toss.Season with salt and pepper.
Dinner: Mexican Spice Chili Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound rump roast, cut into small cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- Add all ingredients to list
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat; saute rump roast until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic; saute until onions are softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves into meat and vegetables; cook and stir until meat and vegetables are coated in seasonings, about 2 minutes. Add beef stock, enchilada sauce, green chile peppers, and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer until meat is tender, about 50 minutes.
- Stir pinto beans into soup, mashing beans to thicken if desired; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.