Breakfast: Mini Mushroom & Sausage Quiches
- 8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- ¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup 1% milk
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray (see Tip).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
- Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.
Snack: Banana Yogurt Smoothie
- 2 teaspoons flaxseeds
- 1 medium banana (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 2/3 cup ice cubes
Place the flaxseeds in a blender and puree for 30 seconds until they are coarsely ground.
Add the banana, yogurt, honey, and ice cubes and puree until smooth and thick. Serve immediately.
Lunch: Creamy Shrimp & Sweet Pea Farfelle
- 12 oz whole-grain farfalle
- 14 oz large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp lemon zest + juice of 1/2 lemon, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, season shrimp with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sauté, stirring frequently, until shrimp just begins to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add peas and sauté until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, lemon juice and reserved pasta water and cook, stirring, until cream cheese is melted and smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest. Toss in the pasta and top with basil.
Dinner: Persian Style Chicken Stew w/ Walnuts & Pomegrante Molasses
- 8 oz pomegranate juice*
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp + 1/8 tsp sea salt, divided
- 3/4 cup unsalted raw walnut pieces (3 oz)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1¼ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Prepare pomegranate molasses: In a small saucepan, bring pomegranate juice, honey, lemon juice and pinch salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 40 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet on medium, toast walnuts until starting to brown. Grind in a food processor to small crumbs. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven on medium, heat oil. Toss chicken with flour and pinch each salt and pepper. Cook chicken in batches until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate.
- To same pan, add onions and sauté until soft and light golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. (NOTE: Add a splash of oil or water to pan if it becomes dry.) Add garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining ½ tsp salt and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add broth, pomegranate molasses and walnuts. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, adding chicken and any juices back into stew, for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and flavors are blended.
- Sprinkle portions with parsley and pomegranate seeds. (NOTE: Three servings are used in Meal Plan; freeze remaining for future use.)