Breakfast: Healthy Pankcakes
- 2½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk powder, (see Note)
- 5 tablespoons dried egg whites, such as Just Whites (see Note)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaxseed meal, (see Note)
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- ½ cup wheat bran, or oat bran
- 1½ cups nonfat milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, buttermilk powder, dried egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in flaxseed meal, dry milk and bran. (Makes 6 cups dry mix.)
- Combine milk, oil and vanilla in a glass measuring cup.
- Place 2 cups pancake mix in a large bowl. (Refrigerate the remaining pancake mix in an airtight container for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 3 months.) Make a well in the center of the pancake mix. Whisk in the milk mixture until just blended; do not overmix. (The batter will seem quite thin, but will thicken up as it stands.) Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Whisk the batter. Using ¼ cup batter for each pancake, cook pancakes until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Adjust heat as necessary for even browning.
Snack: 1 Cup Strawberries and 3 Tsp Cool Whip
Lunch: Roasted Chicken and Bow Tie Pasta Salad
- 3 cups uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta) (about 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 2 breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
- 1 cup thin diagonally cut celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Cool completely.
Combine orange juice and the next 7 ingredients (orange juice through rice vinegar) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine. Add pasta, chicken, grapes, celery, red onion, walnuts, chives, and parsley; toss gently to combine.
Dinner: Lemon Chicken Soup w/ Dumplings
- 2 pounds chicken bones (such as necks and backs)
- 2 large carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved
- 12 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2/3 cup matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sparkling water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten and divided
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°.
Arrange first 4 ingredients on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until browned.
Combine chicken mixture, 12 cups water, and bay leaf in a stockpot over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer gently for 2 hours, skimming fat and foam from surface occasionally. Strain stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Skim fat from surface of stock; discard fat. Return stock to pan; stir in turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, matzo meal, and the next 5 ingredients (through pepper). Add 2 eggs; stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. With moist hands, shape the mixture into 24 (1-inch) balls. Bring stock to a simmer (do not boil). Add dumplings to stock, and cook for 15 minutes. Add chicken, and continue cooking 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove pan from heat. Remove chicken from stock, and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into thin slices; return to pan. Remove 1 cup hot broth mixture. Place remaining 1 egg in a medium bowl. Gradually add 1 cup hot broth mixture to egg, stirring constantly with a whisk. Slowly pour beaten egg mixture into pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in lemon juice, and sprinkle with dill.