Breakfast: Citrus Berry Smoothie
- 1¼ cups fresh berries
- ¾ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place berries, yogurt, orange juice, dry milk, wheat germ, honey and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
Snack: Roasted Almonds w/ Lemon and Salt
500g natural almonds
2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced widthwise
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon flaked sea salt
Preheat oven to 170°C. Combine almonds, garlic and lemon zest and juice in a bowl, and stand for 15 minutes.
Transfer almond mixture to a roasting pan, scatter with flaked sea salt and roast, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until mixture is dry and crisp. Cool. Serve as part of a meze selection or with drinks.
Lunch: Lasagna-Stuffed Zucchini
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta
- 1 large garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 6 ounces cooked Italian chicken sausage (about 2½ links), chopped
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the bottoms so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a ¼-inch shell (discard the pulp). Brush the cut sides with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine ricotta, garlic and parsley in a small bowl. Combine sausage, tomatoes and Italian seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture in each zucchini half. Top with equal portions of the sausage mixture. Place the zucchini boats in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and cover with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle the zucchini with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 5 minutes more.
Dinner: Garlic Roasted Salmon & Brussel Sprouts
- 14 large cloves garlic, divided
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
- ¾ cup white wine, preferably Chardonnay
- 2 pounds wild-caught salmon fillet, skinned, cut into 6 portions
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves and combine in a small bowl with oil, 1 tablespoon oregano, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Halve the remaining garlic and toss with Brussels sprouts and 3 tablespoons of the seasoned oil in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring once, for 15 minutes.
- Add wine to the remaining oil mixture. Remove the pan from oven, stir the vegetables and place salmon on top. Drizzle with the wine mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oregano and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bake until the salmon is just cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges.