Breakfast: Chocolate Banana Oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ small banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chocolate-hazelnut spread
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- Bring water and a pinch of regular salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in oats, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Top with banana, chocolate spread and flaky salt.
- Overnight oats variation Combine ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats with ½ cup water and a pinch of salt in a jar or bowl or jar. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, add toppings. Eat cold or heat up. Makes about 1 cup.
- Steel-cut oats variation Bring 1 cup water and a pinch of salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add ⅓ cup steel-cut oats, reduce heat to a bare simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 2 to 3 minutes. Add toppings. Makes about 1 cup.
Snack: Baby Carrots w/ Hummus
Lunch: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 pounds tilapia fillets
- Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.
Dinner: Garlic Turkey Broccoli Stir-Fry
2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1 (1-pound) turkey tenderloin, cut into thin strips
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil to pan, and tilt to coat evenly. Add turkey, and stir-fry 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink in center. Remove turkey, and set aside.
Combine broth and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; add pepper strips and broccoli; stir-fry 1 minute. Add water chestnuts, and stir-fry 30 seconds. Increase heat to high. Stir broth mixture, and add to pan with soy sauce, turkey, and any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.