Breakfast: Vegetable Egg Scrambler w/ Feta
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced medium
- 1/2 small zucchini, diced medium
- 2 ounces baby spinach (1 cup)
- 2 large eggs plus 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces feta, crumbled (3 tablespoons)
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, tomato, and zucchini and cook until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in spinach and cook until beginning to wilt, 1 minute. Season eggs with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until eggs are set, about 2 minutes. To serve, divide between 2 plates and sprinkle with feta.
Snack: Mixed Grain Granola
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 1 cup spelt flakes
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix flakes and oats in a medium bowl. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until light gold, 35 to 40 minutes.
Transfer to a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and toss to coat. Return to sheet, and spread in an even layer. Bake, stirring halfway through, until golden brown, for 20 minutes. Let cool. Granola can be stored for up to 3 weeks.
Lunch: Hugarian Beef Goulash
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, (such as chuck), trimmed and cubed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1½-2 tablespoons sweet or hot paprika, (or a mixture of the two), preferably Hungarian (see Ingredient Note)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place beef in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Crush caraway seeds with the bottom of a saucepan. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the beef with the spice mixture and toss to coat well. Top with onion and bell pepper.
- Combine tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer. Pour over the beef and vegetables. Place bay leaves on top. Cover and cook until
- the beef is very tender, 4 to 4½ hours on high or 7 to 7½ hours on low.
- Discard the bay leaves; skim or blot any visible fat from the surface of the stew. Add the cornstarch mixture to the stew and cook on high, stirring 2 or 3 times, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Dinner: Broccoli-Bacon Salad
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
Broccoli $0.25 off any brand of broccoli
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 12 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Add all ingredients to list
- Combine broccoli, onion, bacon, raisins, and sunflower seeds in a bowl.
- Whisk mayonnaise, sugar, and red wine vinegar together in a bowl until dressing is smooth; pour over broccoli mixture and stir to coat.