Breakfast: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- Combine the water, apple juice, and apples in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, and stir in the rolled oats and cinnamon. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 3 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls, and pour milk over the servings.
Snack: Easy Carrot- Mango Smoothie
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 1/4 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup ice cubes
Combine ingredients in a blender. Blend on medium speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour into a tall glass (or travel mug) and enjoy immediately.
Lunch: Take to go Asian Stir Fry
- 1½ oz brown rice maifun noodles, aka brown rice vermicelli
- 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup peeled and chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup frozen and thawed edamame
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 lime wedge
- Prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside to dry.
- Mist a large sauté pan with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add bell pepper, carrot and mushrooms and sauté, stirring constantly, until tender-crisp, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. (TIP: For added visual interest, try sautéing and layering each vegetable separately.)
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, oil, salt and black pepper.
- Build salad: Add dressing to bottom of jar. Layer edamame, noodles, vegetable mixture, sesame seeds and lime wedge. Cover with lid and refrigerate. Just before serving, squeeze lime wedge into jar and shake to distribute dressing. Make up to 1 day in advance.
Dinner: Artichoke Chowder
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large white potato, diced
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, water-packed, drained, rinsed and sliced
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp dulse flakes, optional
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large stockpot on medium-high, heat oil. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes until slightly brown. Add celery, carrots, thyme and garlic and sauté until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil, then add potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add artichokes, coconut milk, non-dairy milk and dulse flakes (if using); bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes and season with salt. To serve, garnish with parsley.