Breakfast: Groovy Green Smoothie
- 1 banana, cut in chunks
- 1 cup grapes
- 1 (6 ounce) tub vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Place the banana, grapes, yogurt, apple and spinach into a blender. Cover, and blend until smooth, stopping frequently to push down anything stuck to the sides. Pour into glasses and serve.
Snack: Four-Berry Salad
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved, or quartered if large
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 2 tablespoons small mint leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and sugar.
Add strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and mint. Toss to combine. Transfer to serving bowls and sprinkle nuts over top if desired.
Lunch: Chickpea Salad
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- A few ribs celery and leafy tops, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated then grinded into a paste with salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped, a few sprigs
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine chick peas with onions, peppers, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes and rosemary in a medium bowl. Dress salad with vinegar and oil, salt and pepper.
Dinner: Fish Soup/Stew
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh chopped tomato (about 1 medium sized tomato) OR 1 14-ounce can of whole or crushed tomatoes with their juices
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste (optional)
- 8 oz of clam juice (or shellfish stock)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (like Sauvignon blanc)
- 1 1/2 lb fish fillets (use a firm white fish such as halibut, cod, red snapper, or sea bass), cut into 2-inch pieces
- Pinch of dry oregano
- Pinch of dry thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
1 Heat olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 4 minutes, add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add parsley and stir 2 minutes. Add tomato and tomato paste, and gently cook for 10 minutes or so.
2 Add clam juice, dry white wine, and fish. Bring to a simmer and simmer until the fish is cooked through and easily flakes apart, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add seasoning. Salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.