Breakfast: Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 banana, sliced
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Place banana slices onto the peanut buttered side of one slice, top with the other slice and press together firmly. Fry the sandwich until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side.
Snack: Spiced-Up Hummus
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 plum tomato, peeled, seeded, and very finely chopped
- 2 scallions, very thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a food processor, combine beans and reserved bean liquid, tahini, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, star anise (if using), ginger, and cumin; puree until smooth.
Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in cilantro, tomato, and scallions; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the top of the hummus. Before serving, garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Lunch: Margarita Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons tequila
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- Stir shrimp, olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, tequila, cayenne pepper, and salt together in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate shrimp in marinade for 30 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Remove shrimp from bowl and thread onto skewers; discard marinade.
- Cook on the preheated grill until shrimp turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Dinner: Turkey Skillet Pie with Whole Grain Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1½ cups + 2 tbsp white whole-wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped or shredded cooked turkey (TIP: You can use both dark and white meat.)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup organic unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large ovenproof skillet on medium, heat oil. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low, sprinkle 2 tbsp flour over vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, turkey, peas, milk, ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently until thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk remaining 1½ cups flour, baking powder and remaining ½ tsp salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until it is the size of small peas. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and parsley. Add to flour mixture and stir just until no white streaks remain; do not over-stir. Drop by 1/3 cup rounds onto turkey mixture. Transfer to oven and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of biscuits comes out clean, about 15 minutes.