Breakfast: Pinapple Banana Smoothie
Recipe from: http://www.marthastewart.com/339282/pineapple-banana-smoothie
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 banana
- 1 6-ounce container plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Grated nutmeg
In a blender, combine crushed pineapple with juice, banana, yogurt, and ice cubes. Puree until smooth. Sprinkle with grated nutmeg and serve.
Snack: Oatmeal Bars with Dates and Walnuts
Recipe from: http://www.marthastewart.com/338481/oatmeal-bars-with-dates-and-walnuts
- 2 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (5 1/2 ounces), toasted and chopped
- 1 cup dates (5 ounces), pitted and chopped
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together ground oats, flour, 1 cup whole oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl; set aside.
Put brown sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture, and mix until just combined. Mix in walnuts and dates.
Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in dish. Scatter remaining 1/2 cup whole oats over top. Bake until golden and a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack; cut into bars.
Lunch: Apple Frisee & Radicchio Salad with Lemon Kefir Dressing
Recipe from: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/apple-frisee-radicchio-salad
- 1 large shallot, diced small
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp roasted walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 5 tbsp whole-milk kefir
- 10 oz frisée (2 small heads), cored and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 oz radicchio (½ small head), halved lengthwise and cut into ⅓-inch slices
- 7 small radishes (preferably the French variety, if available), quartered
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced in half lengthwise and cut diagonally (¼-inch thickness)
- 2 apples (Fuji, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp), cored and sliced into 1/8-inch slices
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted unsalted walnuts, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt (or sea salt) and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, combine shallot, lemon juice, walnut and grape seed oil, close lid tightly; shake well. Add kefir and shake again.
- In a large bowl, combine frisée, radicchio, radishes, cucumbers, apples, parsley, mint and walnuts. Pour dressing over top and toss.Season with salt and pepper.
Dinner: Mexican Spice Chile Soup
Recipe from: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/mexican-spice-chile-soup
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided + additional to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 3 dried guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1¾ cups cooked pinto beans
- 1¾ cups frozen and thawed corn
- Optional garnishes: cubed avocado, sliced radishes, lime wedges and cilantro
- Season chicken with oregano, ¾ tsp salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, place dried chiles and cover with water (at least 1 cup). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until very soft.
- To a blender, transfer chiles with ¾ cup liquid from saucepan and add onion, garlic, cumin, cloves and ½ tsp salt; purée until smooth.
- In a large saucepan on medium, heat oil. Pour purée into pan and reduce to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add broth, beans, corn and chicken. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt, as needed. Serve with suggested garnishes (if using).