Breakfast: Apple Butter French Toast Sandwiches
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs and egg whites, granulated sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
Place 4 bread slices in milk mixture and let soak 1 minute per side. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Wipe out skillet. Repeat with remaining bread.
Spread each of 4 slices with 1 tablespoon apple butter. Top with remaining slices and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Snack: Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- Coarse salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven until oil is hot, 3 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, cayenne pepper, and cumin seed. Season with salt and toss to combine. Place chickpea mixture on hot baking sheet and spread in a single layer. Bake until chickpeas are crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels and let cool slightly. Serve warm.
Lunch: Inside-Out Lasagna
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rotini or fusilli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms (about 3½ cups)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 8 cups baby spinach
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- ¾ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta; cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spinach and crushed red pepper (if using). Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring once halfway through, until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta and divide among 4 bowls. Dollop each serving with 3 tablespoons of ricotta.
Dinner: Slow-Cooker Moroccan Lentil Soup
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1¾ cups lentils
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine onions, carrots, garlic, oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add broth, water, cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 4 to 5 hours on High or 8 to 10 hours on Low.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in spinach. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.