Better Bacon-Egg-and-Cheese Sandwich- Breakfast
Recipe from www.eatingwell.com
Ingredients: 2 slices Canadian bacon, 2 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted, 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten, Salt and pepper, 1/2 medium tomato, sliced, 1 tablespoon fresh goat cheese
In a medium nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium until warmed through, 2 minutes. Transfer bacon to 1 slice toast. Season eggs with salt and pepper; add to skillet and cook until set around edge, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook 30 seconds. Fold into quarters and place on bacon; top with tomato and season with salt and pepper. Spread goat cheese on remaining toast, and sandwich.
Cherry Tomato and Feta Salad-Snack
Recipe from www.health.com
- 3 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 ounce crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh oregano
- Halve 3 ounces of cherry tomatoes and mix with 1 ounce crumbled low-fat feta cheese. Dress with 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
Serves: 8Hands-on Time: 10 minutesTotal Time: 30 minutes
Recipes from www.cleaneatingmag.com
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 10 oz baby spinach (about 12 cups lightly packed)
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1-lb pizza crust of your choice (whole-wheat, gluten-free or cauliflower)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked and cooled shredded boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1 sheet frozen whole-wheat or spelt phyllo, thawed, optional
- Arrange oven rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until just wilted, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a plate and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, dill, green onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread yogurt sauce evenly over crust. Top with spinach, red onion, chicken, mozzarella and feta. Mist phyllo (if using) with cooking spray, tear into 3-inch pieces, scrunch into balls and arrange over top of pizza. Bake for 20 minutes, until crust and phyllo are golden.
Apple Cider–Braised Chicken with Parsnips & Kale-Dinner
Recipe from www.cleaneatingmag.com
Hands-on Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour
- 3 tbsp white whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, skin removed and flesh patted dry
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (TRY: Woodstock Organic Dijon Mustard)
- 1 cup 100% apple cider
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped kale, thick stems removed
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ¼ tsp salt, coriander and pepper. Dredge chicken in mixture, turning to coat. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- In a wide, deep nonstick skillet on medium, heat oil. Add chicken and sear, turning once, until golden brown, 9 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To skillet (still on medium), add carrots, parsnips, onion and remaining ¼ tsp salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add Dijon and reserved flour mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and stir in apple cider, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Return chicken and any juices to skillet, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Turn chicken and stir in kale. Simmer gently until kale is wilted, about 4 minutes.